HOW WE VIEW YOUR PRIVACY
We respect your privacy. This means we seek to always be transparent about:
- our data practices and how we keep your data safe
- how your c.formation is shared, and how we let you control data sharing
- how we collect data that helps us improve our products and services
WE DON’T SELL PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE DATA TO ANYONE
If something in this policy does not make sense or if you have any questions, please contact us at support@SAFELET.com.
WHEN WE COLLECT DATA
When you activate a device
When activating a SAFELET Device, you will need to download the SAFELET App and provide certain information about yourself and your SAFELET contacts. We use this information to personalize your use of the SAFELET Device and App and allow you to access their functionality. When you use the SAFELET Services, we collect data including, but not limited to your name, contact information, the names and contact information of your SAFELET contacts, and your specific location, and transmit this data to SAFELET. In addition, when you send alerts through the SAFELET Services, your SAFELET contacts, operators and members of the SAFELET community will receive a text and/or an e-mail (and/or a push notification in the SAFELET App when the user has installed and allowed such notifications to be received) with a note that you have sent the alert and information that can be used to assist in tracking your location until the alert is canceled and in the case of push notification an alert card and other information will be visible in the SAFELET App. These messages can be forwarded or otherwise shared by your SAFELET contacts with others without our, or your, knowledge.
When you visit our sites
When you are accessing the App
When you access the App, data about your activity is transferred to our servers and those of our third-party contractors performing analytical support. This data is stored and used to provide the SAFELET Service and is associated with your account. Each time you create an alert, we log data about the transmission. Some examples of the log data include the time of alerts you generate, your location data, your current SAFELET contacts and their contact information, and related data that allows us to provide the SAFELET Services.
When you buy from our store
When you contact us
Whenever you contact SAFELET for help, we collect your name and email address along with additional information you provide in your request so that we can provide you with assistance and improve the SAFELET Service. Where you contact SAFELET for any other reason or through any other channel, we may collect information you provide to us in that contact. You can also contact SAFELET on public forums such as Twitter or Facebook; however, we cannot maintain the privacy of your communication to us if you contact us through these social media forums or other platforms.
When you add SAFELET contacts
To get the benefit of your SAFELET Device, you will need to add SAFELET contacts in your App. SAFELET lets you add contacts directly from your existing contact lists. In addition, you may directly enter any telephone numbers from any other sources you may have. When you share information with us about your contacts to add them as a SAFELET contact, we use that information to contact them in the event you initiate a SAFELET alert through your SAFELET device.
When you use SAFELET location features
The SAFELET Service includes features that require the collection of specific location data.
- Data and logs are used in research to understand and improve the SAFELET Service; to troubleshoot the SAFELET Service; to detect and protect against error, fraud or other criminal activity; and to enforce the SAFELET Terms of Service.
- De-identified data that does not identify you may be used to inform the health, safety, and/or other public communities about trends; for marketing and promotional use; or for sale to interested audiences. See “Data That Does Not Identify You (De-Identified Data)” in the next section to learn more.
WHAT KINDS OF DATA WE SHARE
Data that could identify you
Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is data that includes a personal identifier like your name, email or address, social security number, date of birth, or any other data that be used to contact, locate or identify you. We will only share this data under the following circumstances:
- With companies that are contractually engaged in providing us with services, such as order fulfillment, email management and credit card processing. These companies are obligated by contract to safeguard any PII they receive from us.
- If we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation, valid legal process (e.g., subpoenas or warrants served on us), or governmental or regulatory request, to enforce or apply the Terms of Service, to protect the security or integrity of the SAFELET Service, and/or to protect the rights, property, or safety of SAFELET, its employees, users, or others. If we are going to release your data, we will attempt to provide you with notice in advance by email, unless we are prohibited by law or legal process from doing so.
Data that does not identify you (de-identified data)
SAFELET may share or sell aggregated, de-identified data that does not identify you, with partners and the public in a variety of ways, such as by providing research or reports about safety, trends, or other matters of public concern. When we provide this information, we perform appropriate procedures so that the data does not identify you and we contractually prohibit recipients of the data from re-identifying it back to you.
WAYS YOU MIGHT SHARE YOUR DATA
Data that you direct us to share
SAFELET provides many ways for you to share data with us, other SAFELET users, and the general public, such as on our Facebook page, Twitter or other social media. When you interact with us or others in these ways, you will be displaying your data based upon the visibility settings in your relevant social media account settings. Always check specific policies associated with any social media forum or platform to understand what data will be visible to us and other users.
Contests and giveaways
HOW LONG WE SAVE YOUR DATA
We store your PII for as long as you use the SAFELET Service and for a period of five years thereafter or otherwise as our data retention policy may require.
HOW TO EDIT OR MODIFY DATA
You can contact us at support@SAFELET.com to update or correct any PII you provide to SAFELET through the Site. Data that you provide to SAFELET through the App can be modified in the App. Backups of your data will be maintained by SAFELET in our archive servers and stored for terms provided in our data retention policies as implemented and modified from time to time.
Under certain circumstances you may:
- request access to copies of the personal data we hold about you and further information in relation to its processing, or else request that such information be supplemented, updated or rectified;
- request erasure, anonymization or blocking of your personal data that is processed in breach of the law;
- object on legitimate grounds to the processing of your personal data. In certain circumstances we may not be able to stop using your personal data; if that is the case, we’ll let you know why; and
- withdraw your consent – when personal data is processed on the basis of consent you may withdraw consent at any time. This does not affect the lawfulness of processing which took place prior to its withdrawal. In the event that you no longer want to receive any marketing material from us, please use the unsubscribe option (which is in all of our marketing emails to you), or contact us.
To exercise such rights (other than withdrawing from marketing emails) please contact support@SAFELET.com
HOW TO DEACTIVATE YOUR SAFELET ACCOUNT
You can deactivate your SAFELET App by deleting your SAFELET contacts from the App and deleting the App from your smartphone or other qualifying device. You should also disable the subscription and “alerting community” options. Backup copies of this data will be removed from our server based upon an automated schedule, and we currently remove and destroy most data after retaining it for a period of one (1) year. SAFELET may continue to use your de-identified data after you deactivate your account.
SAFELET’S POLICIES FOR CHILDREN
The SAFELET Service is not directed at persons under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect any PII from children under 13. If you are aware of a user under the age of 13 using a Device or the SAFELET Service, please contact us at support@SAFELET.com.
CAN I OPT-OUT OF RECEIVING SAFELET EMAILS?
Yes, you can opt-out of receiving any Device or other SAFELET product update notices, marketing, or other e-mail messages we may send you by unsubscribing via the “Unsubscribe” link in any SAFELET e-mail. Opting-out of these e-mails will not end transmission of important service-related e-mails that are necessary to your use of the SAFELET Service.
HOW DOES SAFELET KEEP MY DATA SAFE?
SAFELET uses a combination of technical and administrative security controls to maintain the security of your data. If you have a security-related concern, please contact support@SAFELET.com.
HOW DOES SAFELET HANDLE DATA FROM INTERNATIONAL VISITORS?
The SAFELET Service may be hosted and operated outside of the United States and is subject to all applicable laws, domestic or foreign. Any personal information that you provide to SAFELET may be transferred to SAFELET for use outside of the United States. You consent to the transfer of your personal information outside of the United States. If you are accessing the SAFELET Service from outside the United States, please be advised that, to the extent applicable, United States law may not offer the same privacy protections as the law of your jurisdiction.
Technologies we use
Cookies are text files that are sent by servers to web browsers and stored on your computer. They tell us which parts of the SAFELET Service you’ve visited so we can figure out which promotions you may like to see or to alert you to software compatibility issues.
Web beacons and pixel tags are images embedded in a webpage or email for the purpose of measuring and analyzing usage and activity. SAFELET, or third party service providers acting on our behalf, may use web beacons and pixel tags to help us analyze usage and improve our functionality.
Does SAFELET honor “do not track” signals?
We don’t take a position on your use of “Do Not Track” signals, but use of such signals may impact your experience using the SAFELET Service and the functionality of the SAFELET Service as applied to you and the device through which you access the SAFELET Service. We may modify our position on Do Not Track signals, and the functionality of the SAFELET Service, as the law and policy in this area develops.
We use third-party advertising cookies to present you with opportunities to purchase Devices or other SAFELET products on our web sites; and retargeting cookies, to present you with SAFELET advertising on other websites based on your interaction on our web sites and other websites.
We also may use third-party data analytics platforms to improve the SAFELET Service in a variety of ways.
You can email us with any questions or comments at support@SAFELET.com.
DATE OF LAST UPDATE: June 20, 2018 (subject to further changes)